Community

Community

Extra tuition expenses drop for international boarding students

Dana Hall students used to be on four different tuition tracks, depending on their grade, boarding status, and country of origin. Before the 2013-2014 school year, however, Dana Hall’s Board of Trustees streamlined the previous four different tuition prices for students into two tuitions: one for day students, and one […]

Community

Ms. Davidov: the woman behind the desk 

Many people know Ms. Maggie Davidov as the librarian that can help you with anything: refining your bibliography, helping your research, or any odd project. But there is more to Ms. Davidov than just bibliographies: she can recite the entirety of Robin Hood: Men in Tights, she works out to […]

Community

#BlackAtBLS raises questions about racism and education

On Martin Luther King day this year, two seniors at Boston Latin School (BLS), Meggie Noel and Kylie Webster-Cazeau, published a video launching a hashtag about racism at BLS. Noel and Webster-Cazeau call #BlackAtBLS “Phase 1” of their campaign to address racism at their high school, the oldest public school in the […]

Community

Kaya Reingold helps middle schoolers get happy

Kaya Reingold ’16 is a founder of The Happy Institute (HI), a program aimed at instilling a greater sense of overall kindness, empathy, compassion, and optimism in middle school children. HI works with middle school kids to create a positive social change throughout schools. Kaya chose to focus on the middle […]

Community

Uber now off-limits for those under 18

Dana Hall students under 18 may no longer use Uber or other ride-sharing services. Students’ use of these services over the last couple of years has actually been in violation of the company’s policies banning users under 18 years old. Dana Hall has been using Uber for the past few years […]

Community

Department of Defense opens all combat roles to women

All combat roles in the military are now open to eligible women, according to Defense Secretary Ashton Carter, who announced the policy change this past December at the Pentagon. For the first time in the history of the United States’ Department of Defense, women who meet the qualifications will not […]

Community / Opinion

Popping the Dana Bubble

I am engulfed in the Dana Hall bubble. The “Dana Bubble” is known by students as a shield of comfort that creates a division between the real world and ourselves. This bubble at times can be protective, but during Republican Donald Trump’s campaign for presidency, I have realized that this […]

Community

Chipotle faces health crises, diminished reputation

Chipotle has been in and out of the news since July, and not because they are thriving. Starting in July, Chipotle locations all over the country have had multiple outbreaks of e. coli, two outbreaks of norovirus, and one outbreak of salmonella. Students at Dana Hall mainly go to Boloco and Qdoba when […]

Community

Oregon militia standoff ends

In January, armed protesters took over the Malheaur National Wildlife Refuge headquarters in Oregon in response to fellow ranchers’ prison sentencing, but according to Vox this conflict started years earlier, which is why the consequences were so severe. The conflict rests on grazing rights and what the federal government and ranchers […]

Community / Opinion

Listening to stories at the cultural crossroads

It can be a mixed blessing having parents of two different races. While rich cultural history is embedded into my heritage, so is ambiguity, and often, people are reluctant to consider that my ethnicity doesn’t fall into a single specific category. Each person, I’ve found, is a composite of stories, […]